Saturday, September 1, 2007

Luisa Suarez

My name is Luisa Suarez. My nationality is Colombian and my husband is Ecuadorian. We met in Nanegalito, a nearby town. After we got married we went to "open the mountain," because people told us there was land where you could work. That's how we came here to Guayabillas.

We arrived in the year 1966 when there were no roads and it took two or three days of walking to get to this land. There was no school and 8 years went by until we started the first school.

We have 11 children, 25 grandchildren, and 2 great-grandchildren. My husband works in agriculture and I do the domestic chores. I like that all my married children live close by.

We cultivate plantain, yuca, corn, and in the garden behind the house I have beans, onion, cilantro and radishes. My favorite dish is morocho with milk (a hot corn drink like hot chocolate).

I'd like to have volunteers so they can help work with us, and also to learn nice things, things that we don't know about.

* * * * * *

Yo me llamo Luisa Suarez. Soy de nacionalidad colombiana y mi esposo es ecuatoriano. Nos conocimos en Nanegalito, una parroquia cercana. Luego de casarnos, fuimos a “ abrir una montaña” porque decían que había terrenos para poder trabajar. Es así como vinimos acá a Guayabillas.

Llegamos en el año de 1966 cuando no había caminos y tomaba dos o tres días de camino para entrar a estas tierras. No habia escuela y tuvo que pasar 8 años cuando empezaron la primera escuela.

Tenemos 11 hijos, 25 nietos y 2 bisnietos. Mi esposo trabaja en la agricultura y yo en los quehaceres domesticos. Me gusta que todos mis hijos casados vivan cerca de mi.

Cultivamos plátano, yuca, maíz y en el huerto tras de mi casa tengo frijoles, cebolla, cilantro, y nabos. Mi plato favorite es el morocho con leche.

A mi me gustaría tener voluntarios porque nos apoyan, también aprendemos cosas bonitas, y lo que nosotros no sabemos.

No comments: